Thursday, March 14, 2013

My very wise husband recently told me : "We have to take affection on her terms."  This was after a conversation lamenting over the fact that our daughter doesn't like being affectionate.

I was somewhat prepared, that at a certain age I would have to stop kissing her in public. But not prepared to have to beg for kisses and hugs AT HOME at age 8.  The sad thing is, it's not anything new.
This has been going on since the beginning.  After first bringing her home,  we were never able to hold her like a baby cradled in our arms.  She would arch her back and squirm until finally being vertical.  She was always busy, wanting to be able to check out everything.  She wanted to be aware of all around her.

Granted,  she was 9 1/2 months when she became ours but I longed to cradle her.   I still long to cradle her.   As a matter of fact, I can't get enough kisses and hugs.  The only problem is, is that I have to beg, plead, and bribe for them,  until this morning.

I was sitting on the side of the bed and she came into our bedroom.  I have no clue why, but she climbed into my lap, wrapped her arms around me and just sat there embracing me.  She commented: "you're warm."  I almost couldn't believe this was my child.  I immediately thought of the conversation Ben and I had.  I realized how sweet this moment was.  I determined not to move, not to hurry her to get ready.  I just sat there.  I decided I would not be the first to let go either.  I was going to enjoy every last second of this.  And I did.  She sat there for about 5 minutes then as quick as she embraced me she loosened her arms and climbed back out of my lap.

I guess I will take what I can get.  I'm sure I will never stop wanting hugs and kisses from her, no
matter how old she gets.  But I must say, they are extra sweet when she initiates them.

I'm really hoping she does it again tomorrow.  :)









No comments: