Monday, May 7, 2012

God wanted us to have you

Our girl had a hard time falling asleep last night.  After a full day of triathlon competition she came home and napped, making it hard for sleep to come when bedtime arrived.  We went into her room last night for Ben to do his nightly prayer and out of the blue: "Mama, why didn't you have a baby out of your stomach?"  It's funny the timing of questions.  I had no idea this was on her mind.  I thought we'd discuss the race, the swimming, the fun weekend, anything but this.

I looked at Ben, and he at me.  He jokingly said: "We're waiting..." I thought for a second of what direction I was going to take this conversation.  I explained how daddy couldn't have babies when we got married.  "But why didn't YOU have a baby out of your stomach?"  Well, I explained, it takes a mama and a daddy to have a baby.  Knowing this was going to get a little heavier than we wanted, Ben chimed in and said: "God wanted us to have you!"  He always knows the right thing to say at the right time.

That seemed to satisfy her.  Thankfully.  

I've been thinking about his comment and my feelings yesterday while cheering her on.  There was something special about running along side her while she was competing.  I thought of how my parents must have felt when my sister and I were young.  My parents were there for everything we did.  They never missed anything.  They were our biggest fans. This is the kind of parent I want to be.

"God wanted us to have you."

We are her biggest fans.  God put her with us so we could cheer her on.  The role of parent is so important.  I take my job very seriously.  And, yes, I know the most important thing we can do is teach her about the Savior.  My # 1 goal is that she will be a follower of Christ, to live for Him and glorify Him with her life.

These precious moments like yesterday must just be icing on the cake.

"The voices of childhood echo throughout life.  The first learned is generally the last forgotten."
~ Charles Spurgeon

No comments: