Thursday, May 31, 2012

I saw great acts of courage, loyalty and comradery tonight.  All from seven year olds.  
It all happened at a birthday party.  
I was enjoying a conversation with a friend when all of a sudden another mother scurried past me and said: "I think Chloe got hurt."

I immediately rushed over to check on my baby.  By this time a crowd had gathered.  She emerged from the inflatable with tears streaming down her face.  And boy did she have one fat upper lip.  Bless her.

The group was buzzing, all at once telling the story of what had happened.  Finally I was able to hear Chloe tell me what happened.  

A little boy, not in our group, had run into my girl's face, head first.  
She explained to me what had happened.  The funny thing is, is that the emphasis was not on the collision.  
The emphasis was this:  "After he ran into me, he looked back at me and saw I was hurt and he 
DIDN'T EVEN SAY HE WAS SORRY!"

More tears flowed, but not because of the fat lip.  

The entire group couldn't believe he had not said he was sorry!

We went and got ice from the concession stand and she sat with me for a bit.  She kept saying: "he didn't even say he was sorry."

I tried to explain to her that not everyone is taught manners.  

A couple of minutes later a couple of boy classmates came over to check on her.  
They wanted to know who did this to their friend.  
I couldn't help but snicker when I watched the two boys discuss how they would handle this.

They wanted to know the shirt description.  
Chloe told them he had on a yellow shirt and pointed him out.

I was beginning to think I was on some first grade crime show because they were going to get to the bottom of this.  They were going to get him to say he was sorry.  The two little boys ran off saying: "oh, I know which one it is." 

I have to say, I love how this little group sticks together.  
I saw it firsthand tonight.    

I think these sweet children have a special bond.  They will travel through each grade together, unlike other schools.  One class per grade.  Small classes.  I love this.
I love how they've been taught to love one another.  

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil.  For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!" ~ Ecclesiastes 4:9-10




No comments: