Sunday, May 23, 2010

Divine Appointments

Ever had one of those Divine Appointments? You know, those occurrences that are so special it is as if God is behind it all. Well, Ben and I had one of those last night. Several months ago I noticed a woman that was in my Sunday School class was on facebook. Our church is so big there are still people we don't know. I decided even though I've never talked to her in class I would ask her to be my friend on facebook. It wasn't long that she accepted and we became "friends."

Somehow, Ben became facebook "friends" with their son. I think Ben said he had seen something he posted on a common friends wall or something. I haven't a clue. After several facebook comments back and forth Ben mentions to me how he would love to get to know this family better. I see Lori Wednesday night at church. I actually think this is the first time we talk in person. The amazing thing is, we have been going to Pleasant Valley South for five years. They have been going three and this is the first time we have actually spoken to one another! She tells me she and James really wanted to ask us over to dinner so we could all get to know each other. Weird, huh? :)

Well, the invitation came Friday night for dinner Saturday. Ben and I quickly agreed because at this point we have realized God may be trying to tell us something. Something that has to do with this change in us. You see, God has been doing a work in our lives lately. We can't really pinpoint what it is, but it's something. We feel like we are at a crossroads of some sort, but don't even know what THAT means. We know that we both have an increased desire for God's Word. A hunger for more. To me, the verse "... desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious." has become a constant reminder that God's Word is my life source. John MacArthur says, "Spiritual growth is always marked by a craving for and a delight in God's Word..."If you are a non-believer you will not understand this. All of this talk will be "foolishness" to you. That's sad to me, but is a whole other blog entry.

As Ben, Chloe and I arrive for dinner, we are greeted by the nicest, most laid back family. I am convinced it was one of those "Divine Appointments." We talked about our faith, beliefs, and desires to know our Lord better. We soon discover we are "like-minded" as Philippians 2:2 puts it. Josh, their son is finishing up his seminary degree. He taught himself how to play the piano and even played and sang a few hymns for us before we left. We listened to one of his sermons on our way home. He certainly has a calling on his life. Their love for the Lord is obvious.

We are excited and anticipating what God wants from us. Happy he has brought these new friends into our lives. We are looking forward to our next get together.



Lori snapped these photos...I love Chloe's expression in this one!


I did explain to Chloe this is what NOT to do when being photographed, but I love it, nonetheless!




"As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend." Proverbs 27:17

"Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common..." Acts 2:44

1 comment:

Mrs. Pilgrim said...

Amazing!! Loved getting to know your sweet family and glad to be obedient when God has a plan!