Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A mother's protectiveness

We enjoyed some family time this evening. Ben cut the grass and Chloe and I played outside. Well, we actually just gazed at puppies all evening. Madeline is still very protective of her brood. They are only three days old today and it's hard for us to keep our hands off of them.

Madeline's protectiveness over her puppies reminds me a little of myself when we first brought Chloe home. I remember being very protective of her. Ben and I had been to classes about how important it would be for us to bond with her. I remember being told it would be crucial for me to be the only one to hold her for the first several weeks. Ben wasn't going for that, he couldn't wait to hold her. I remember him telling me right after the "gotcha" moment, "I'm holding her as soon as we get on that bus!" My mother was not too thrilled about this recommendation either. She waited as long as she could at the airport after we arrived back in Atlanta. Moments after walking up the terminal where she, Hannah, Lauren, Keli, Kaci and Memar were waiting, my mother held her and planted kisses all over her sweet face.

Madeline is easing up a little, although she will still nudge my hand out of the way when I go to reach for one. We try to keep the visits short and sweet. In a crazy kind of way, I know how she feels. I didn't want all kinds of hands on my baby either. I didn't even want anyone else changing her diaper.

Soon though, she will appreciate the help just like Ben and I did.







Just playing in the yard....






"He maketh the barren woman to keep house, and to be a joyful mother of children. Praise ye the Lord." Psalm 113:9

No comments: