Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tybee Island

Ben and I will be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary this year. Since this one is kind of a "big one" we decided to go back to where it all started. It began as a trip for just the two of us, but as the time for us to leave got closer and closer we both started dreading leaving Chloe behind. After a few discussions, we both decided we should just take her along. It would be special to show her where her daddy proposed to her mama.

I'll never forget the day Ben proposed. It was June 11th, 2000. We had been dating since January. It was a Sunday and he told me to bring some clothes to change in to that we would be taking a surprise trip after church. After church we got into his car and started driving. It was exciting because I loved surprises! Still do! After I knew we were headed toward Atlanta, I thought perhaps we might be going to see a Braves game. After passing Turner Field I couldn't imagine where we were going.

We ended up on Tybee Island. I'll never forget him jumping out of the car running across the street to look towards the ocean. He jumped back in the car and drove for a few more minutes. He jumped out again, came back and said, OK, this is the place. After getting out of the car I realized he had been looking for the one pier on the island. We walked out on that pier and he pulled out a ring. I think I was shaking. He then asked me "Will you grow old with me?" It was one of the sweetest moments of my life. After the proposal we turned around and drove all the way back home. We stopped and made several calls to family and ate at the Huddle House.


You see in 1999 I started praying earnestly for God's will in my life. I had prayed for a man like him. I knew he loved the Lord and I always knew God had something special for me. I had dated him a little when we were both at West Ga College. I had at that time wanted a more serious relationship but he wanted to play the field. Little did I know at that time that God would bring him back into my life.


Tybee Island is a special place for us. When we got our rat terrier in 2001 Ben came up with her name, "Tybee". We had not been back there in the 10 years we have been married until our trip last week.

It was a wonderful trip! I made Ben "re-enact" the proposal....




Lucky for him I brought the tripod. I can't believe he did it!

We played on the beach and shopped. We were able to walk everywhere. We stayed at a hotel right across from the pier. It was so relaxing.

Chloe and I climbed the lighthouse.... twice!





She ate ice cream everyday...




We did the beach pictures that everyone does....





We ate at The Breakfast Club, rated #6 in Southern Living as one of the top 10 places to eat breakfast in Georgia.


We went to Savannah for a day to catch a Savannah Sand Gnat's game. We also rode the water taxi across the river.

On the way home there was one last surprise, a stop in Kennesaw at one of our favorite dating spots, Spaghetti Warehouse for dinner. We ate on the train...Chloe loved it!

Ben says we'll go back. Maybe in 10 years we'll be able to leave Chloe, she'll be 15. We'll see...


"...but I found him who my soul loveth.." Song of Solomon 3:4

No comments: