Friday, February 18, 2011

Playing Hooky

I was reminded again this morning of how quickly time is passing.  As I was getting our girl ready for school she was standing beside me and I suddenly realized how tall she is getting.  I placed my hand on top of her head and then slid it over to me to see how far she is from looking at me face to face.    I told her to stop!  Stop growing!  She's not a baby, nor a toddler.  She's a full fledged 'kid.'  (Although, we do have an 'understanding' that she'll ALWAYS be my baby.)

Her daddy carried her to school and I began to have those sentimental feelings.  Again.

After just a few minutes of the silence in the house I had a great idea.  I'd go have lunch with her at school.

On the way I stopped and got her a Happy Meal and a parfait.  She loves those things.

I got to school right at 12, they had already walked to the dining hall.  I walked in and looked around the room for her.  Luckily, there was an empty seat right beside her.  I tapped her on the shoulder and I wish I'd had my camera.  The smile on her face was priceless.  I sat with her and her friends and she enjoyed chicken nuggets, fries and a parfait.  Her friends addressed me as 'Mrs. Hansard.'  Funny, how after being married ten and a half years that still sounds funny to me.  I sat there and just enjoyed the buzz of the dining hall.   I enjoyed chatting with all her friends while helping open crackers, chips and ketchup.

We finished up lunch then walked back to school.  It's a beautiful walk from the dining hall back to school.  A fairly narrow pebble walkway.  I stepped up on the one foot pebble wall that lines each side of the walkway until one student informed me that wasn't allowed.  I quickly stepped off so I wouldn't get 'in trouble.'  :)

I then asked her if she wanted to leave early.  This is something I know I can't do much as she gets older. But in kindergarten, it is allowed.   I remember one year my mom coming to get me early at school.  She wouldn't tell me where we were going.  We got in the car and drove, for what seemed like forever.  Looking back it was actually only a short distance to Cave Spring.  She drove us to a store called Martha Janes.  She then told me I was going to get to adopt a cabbage patch kid.  Not the plastic kind, the real kind.  The kind you have to say an oath to get.  The cloth kind with Xavier Roberts signature on it.  I still have it.  The doll itself is great but it is the surprise trip with my mom that I'll never forget.  

I want Chloe to have fond memories of her childhood.  I want her to look back and remember things and think 'that was great!'  After checking her out of school I suggested to her that we go spend that gift card she got for Valentine's day.  She, very happily, agreed.   Later I asked her how it felt to 'play hooky.'  She said; "what's hooky?'

It was a great day and memory for me.  Maybe she'll remember it too.

No comments: