Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Ride

I normally don't like posting about occurrences I'd rather forget, but I will certainly have more good memories than bad about this one.

We were visiting my daddy today in the hospital.  We had been there a good portion of the day and after talking to the doctor, Kaci, Chloe and I decided to go grab a bite to eat.  We left daddy's room and made our way to the elevator.  Standing there, I was fumbling through my purse in search of my cell phone.  The elevator doors opened and Chloe jumped on.  Before Kaci and I had time to look up, the doors closed!  I grabbed the doors and was able to pry open the outer one but the inner door was locked down.  It was another one of those slow motion moments.

What seemed like minutes were actually only seconds.  As my mind raced, my hands still on the outer doors realizing the elevator was not going to open back up, I heard a very firm, in control, take charge yet urgent voice come from inside the elevator say: "MEET ME DOWN THERE!"    She was calm.  It was me that was panicked.

I stood there for a split second trying to process what to do next, then turned, felt like I nearly pushed Kaci down and bolted for the stairs.  I heard Kaci say, "I'll stay here and get on this one in case she comes back."
I held my breath as I jetted down five flights of stairs.  When I got to the second floor, I opened the door and didn't see her immediately. There was a big group of people standing waiting to get on the elevator.  As I quickly scanned the area again, there she was standing in the corner.  That little bitty girl.  I exhaled.  I had never been more happy to see her in all my life.


After grabbing her and hugging her, the lady standing there told me she had asked her if she needed any help.  She said Chloe told her: "No, I'm going to wait right here."  She was such a little grown up!  I'm so proud of her.


Our girl proved great under pressure!  It was almost as if she had taken charge and reminded me of what to do.

I asked her later how she knew to get off on the second floor and she said: "because I'm smart!"

Kaci thinks she's a genius, so do I!

No comments: