Friday, February 13, 2009

The Ant and the Grasshopper

A couple of nights ago, my best friend (my husband) was reading, as he often does, right before bedtime. He said "sit down, I want to read you something". I thought, oh no...I'm in trouble about something....He starts reading from his book...

"The Ant and the Grasshopper gives us a splendid analogy for viewing the reciprocal relationship of SJ to SP. In the fable, the Ant is industriously and dutifully transporting large crumbs of bread from the site to storage while the Grasshopper reclines on a blade of grass near Ant's path, playing the fiddle, chewing tobacco, and singing "The world owes me a living." Ant, without losing stride in his burdensome work, scolds Grasshopper for not preparing for the upcoming winter months. "Join me," urges Ant, "and we will together fill the storehouse, thus ensuring that none will suffer cold or hunger." Grasshopper replies, "And if you keep up this feverish pace, you won't make it to winter, succumbing to ulcer, high blood pressure, or colitis. Join me on my blade of grass, and we will enjoy together the warm summer, the food that abounds, and celebrate the world's debt to us in song." Each of course, ignores the other's request and goes on his own merry or tedious way. When it turns out to be a long, cold, hungry winter, Grasshopper must knock at Ant's door and stand there frostbitten and starving; Ant, snug in his storehouse of goodies, can only let Grasshopper in. And so it is with SJs and SPs~ They marry each other with high frequency and play out this eternal drama."


He said, "who does that sound like?" We both agreed and had a great laugh. He's obviously the Ant and I'm obviously the Grasshopper. We could both imagine me standing at his door, knocking to come in, "I'm cold, I'm hungry"..."Let me in" And of course he would let me in!
That's why I love him!

No comments: