Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Entrepreneur

Last week we visited Berry's Kindergarten class. The children were on the play ground so we chatted with Mrs. Neidrach and she showed Chloe what the class had been doing. Chloe was really excited to see that they had painted some rocks. One was painted so that it looked exactly like a piece of strawberry cake, one was a school bus, and many other very creative pieces of art. Since that day, Chloe has been wanting to paint rocks. Finally, today as her Daddy is keeping her, he lets her paint rocks. Having a gravel driveway really helps provide all kinds of great "art projects". When I get home from work she is so excited to tell me she's been painting rocks. She has a piece of paper in her hand. I have no clue what the paper is for and didn't really think twice about it. After a quick change of my clothes I return to our Den and find her on the front porch. She has a sign made saying, "open", $1 and a picture of a painted rock. She explains to me how she's going to sell the rocks.

Oh goodness, how am I going to tell her this is NOT a good idea. Not that some people wouldn't pay a dollar for a painted rock(I know her grandparents would all fall hook~line~sinker for it)...but there's not really a "high demand" for painted rocks. Not this kind of painted rock. And, the sign is hanging on the front porch, a good 25 yards or so from the road. I tell her, "maybe you should just try to sell them to relatives." Nope, she wasn't going for it. I didn't have the heart to discourage her so I decide to just go along with it. She actually "solicited" our neighbors and of course they bought one. She made $3 and seemed to be completely satisfied with her income.




I suppose all parents want their children to succeed. I wanted success for her so badly today. I know a time is coming, as she gets older there will be disappointment and discouragement. I don't know how I will be able to stand it. I want to instill Joshua 10:25 in her. I want her to always rest in the fact that success doesn't come in her ability but in His grace.

"Then Joshua said to them, Do not be afraid, nor be dismayed; be Strong and of good courage, for thus the Lord will do to all your enemies against whom you fight." Joshua 10:25

No comments: