Friday, March 19, 2010

Spiritual Growth

Lately, I can't seem to get enough of God's word. Last year I read through the bible. It came as a challenge from our Associate Pastor. I know God used him to challenge me. I actually finished in November, ahead of schedule. I was so excited and really felt so good that I could finally say, I've read every word! It awakened a new passion and craving for His word. I don't know any other way to explain it. And, God is not letting this desire for His word leave me. Although I have not followed any "read through the bible plan" I still have a desire to be in His word every day. I am wondering what God is trying to tell me? Why has this desire been put in me and not in everyone else? I look all around me and see pain, suffering, sadness, emptiness. It makes me sad and so very thankful all at the same time. I want everyone to have it. I want to give it to others. It feels so good, and I'm in no way "special". Often people who are facing terrible challenges ask "Why me?". I'm not facing anything terrible, but still I wonder, "Why me?" What in the world have I done to deserve this GREAT BLESSING? The thing is, I've done nothing to deserve it. Nothing. It's simply beyond belief.

John MacArthur says..."Spiritual Growth is always marked by a craving for and delight in God's Word with the intensity with which a baby craves milk."

He also says...
"A Christian develops a desire for the truth of God's Word by:
1) remembering his life's source
2) eliminating sin from his life
3) admitting his need for God's truth
4) pursuing spiritual growth
5) surveying his blessings."

I still have a long way to go...but thankful God has given me this gift.

"Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious." 1 Peter 2:1-3

No comments: