Monday, March 29, 2010

Tombstones

As Chloe and I were doing our little errand today, we took a wrong turn. I had to pull over on the side of the road to text Ben to get the correct directions. It just so happened I pulled over right across the street from a cemetery. A cemetery I have some relatives in.

Out of the backseat came..."Ewwwww, tombstones, I don't like tombstones Momma!"
My reply was..."Why not?" "There's really nothing to be afraid of. As a matter of fact, my grandmother, grandfather and uncle are buried in that cemetery. Let's go see if we can find their graves."
OK, this sounds terribly morbid, but I don't want her to be afraid. I briefly thought..hmmm, wonder if I should be talking to her about death, tombstones, graves..etc. It's a lot of scary things to explain to a 5 year old. I really wish Ben had been there. Sometimes, I just need his reassurance. I suppose that's why God thought it well for men to have a "help-mate". He will never probably know how much I rely on him for little things as well as big things.

So, off we go...I tell her, "Look for R A M S E Y". We found my uncle's grave right away. I explained to her, this is where he was buried but his spirit is gone up to heaven. She didn't really ask many questions. Once finding my uncle's grave we set off to find my grandmother and grandfather's grave. We walked up and down the aisle's close to my uncle. It had been such a long time since I had been there I couldn't remember. The wind was blowing, it was kind of chilly and I was about to give up. I said, "Let's just go get back in the car, it's cold." But she didn't want to. She kept insisting we find the graves that belonged to her great-grandmother and great-grandfather. After a quick call to Nana, we found them. I hope she has no more fear of the cemetery. I love teaching her new things even if they are about "creepy" graveyards.

"When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: "Death has been swallowed up in victory." Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting?" ! Corinthians 15:54-55

No comments: