Friday, April 9, 2010

You're right

Tonight as Ben, myself, Lauren and Chloe are heading out the door to dinner, Ben tells me we are going to take the girls to Putt Putt for game night. I immediately say, "Let me grab my camera!". His reply was, "don't bring the camera tonight, just go be Mama tonight, not photographer." I pouted a little but agreed to his request. After dinner we head to Putt Putt. Lauren and Chloe were thrilled to spend some money. Chloe was especially thrilled. Five dollars a piece bought 24 tokens for each girl.

Chloe wanted to play me in a game of Air Hockey. The absolute joy on her face every time she scored against me was priceless. I began thinking, you know, had I brought the camera I would not have been able to enjoy each expression on her face. I would have been behind that camera and perhaps missed the full experience of interaction with her. Having the worst memory I don't like the idea of forgetting the little day to day time with her. I mentioned to Ben to watch her face as she's playing. His response was, "See, how could you miss that?" He was right. However, my response back to him was, "I know, I wish I had my video camera!"

"The memories I find myself sifting through the past to find, the one's I'd give anything now to relive are the one's that no one ever thought to photograph, the one's that came and went as softly as a breeze on a summer afternoon. It's taken a while, but I certainly do know it now, the most wonderful gift I had, the gift I finally learned to cherish above all else, was the gift of all those perfectly ordinary days." Katrina Kenison~ The Gift of an Ordinary Day

No comments: